Happy Friday to you!
Technically, autumn doesn't begin until the fourth week in September. Yet, for many of us August is the end of summer vacation. In the midst of clothes shopping, dwindling trips to the beach, and other cool activities, I encourage you to engage your community. I don't mean eating out at your local restaurant or visiting your local movie theater. Rather, I implore you to interact with your community through service. The next few weeks are most likely the calm before the storm (i.e. intense class schedules, after-school programs/activities, and long work hours). Certainly, you can put some of your free time to good use. There are hundreds of ways to serve your community. However, it can be difficult to think of ideas if you've never done this before. Consequently, I created a list of activities that will help you to engage those outside of your typical group of family and friends. The following list is the perfect way to wind down the summer; however, you can continue these volunteer efforts throughout the fall and winter months.
WAYS TO SERVE YOUR COMMUNITY THIS SUMMER
1. Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity.
2. Sign up to feed the homeless or serve at a local food bank.
3. Participate in a charitable 5k race in your neighborhood.
4. Host a fundraiser and donate the funds to your favorite charity.
5. Donate books to a local school, library, or camp in need.
6. Host a back to school event where you gift school supplies to families in need.
Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.